August 26, 2016 is a pretty big day for The Non-Adventures of Wonderella
. It marks the 10th year of the comic existing somewhere outside of my troubled mind. Many people don’t realize it’s that old (notably if they’ve just zipped through the archives), and I guess that’s a hat-tip that it’s aged well.
As the date’s come closer, I realized three things:
So this is me deciding to make time.
- This will mark 15 years of my continuously making comics. Starting with the now-defunct Killroy & Tina, I’ve been shoving out weekly comic pages pretty much non-stop since 2001. Even when the online Wonderella schedule took a backseat for Kickstarter in 2014, I was still creating new content for print.
- Wonderella’s seen a lot. Wonderella has faced off against with vampires, vampire hunters, werewolves, ninja, assassins, cyborgs, robots, golems, ifrits, aliens, pirates, gods, demigods, Wonderella variants, gorgons, golden age characters, and a small buffet of food-based villains and heroes. She didn’t necessarily fight or even acknowledge all of them, but she did see them. Shortstorylong, I’ve already gone down a long path of ideas that can churn out its own single-page, self-contained storyline. Which leads to...
- I’m lurching towards longer storylines. I’m not talking Cerebus, or even the gentry’s 24-page floppy length. But the past couple years have seen a lot of 2-3 page comics. And I have an entire directory called “backburners” that consists of stories I started and stopped, because they don’t fit on a page or two. Maybe they fit on five pages? Maybe they fit on ten? At any rate, I haven’t been able to do them justice because I haven’t had the time with 9-5 work, life, and most importantly, the weekly Non-Adventures.
August 27, 2016 will officially be the end of the weekly one-page schedule. From then on, I'll update when I have a completed story to post. Based on feedback, people seem to enjoy longer comics as much as, if not more than, the shorties. But that raises a few questions, and while a lot of this is in the ether for me, I think I can answer:
- When will new content go up? I’ll stick with Saturday – whichever Saturday is on the doorstep when the work is done.
- Will there EVER be one pagers again? Absolutely. If an idea fits one page, why not? I've got no beef with single-page comics; I just don’t want to push out a half-developed idea just to meet a Saturday timeline.
- Why not just put out a weekly page of a 10-page story? Eh, that may work for other comics, but not Wonderella. I don’t do this to get pageviews, and it always feels weird when a comic page has a guy yelling “HEY!” and you need to wait a week to find out who he’s yelling at. I’d rather have a beginning, middle and end to each story, just like it is today.
- Will it still be the NON-Adventures of Wonderella? Yes, even in longer story formats, Wonderella will continue to do whatever it takes to keep her adventures firmly “Non”. Plus, I mean, that's the URL.
Like I said, this is all new territory for me. But I’ll let you know when I know what’s next. If you have any questions that aren't addressed above, feel free to email me.